Pope Adrien launched a Anti-Reformation, I suspect with help of his good friend, Gottschalk Rosemondt, the Master of Leuven, and the Falcon Art College. Adrien stipulated in his Will (that Rosemondt was the Executor of) that he wanted a residential college so poor students could come study Theology and the Arts. This was in answer to the Pope’s in Rome, and the Medici Bankers, who Adrien, and I assume, Rosemondt, saw as threat to the Papacy. I suspect Rosemondt is the founder of the Dutch Renaissance that produced Hieronymus Bosch, a member of the Swan Brethren, as were members of the Roesmont family. Bosch destroyed the idea of Decorative Art – as intended. His work is full of messages – from God – that can not be ignored! This is Dutch Bohemianism with roots in Humanism as promoted by Erasmus. It may have its roots in the Poor Knight of Christ, who may have convinced Adrien to save Rhodes, and launch another Crusade.
I want to found an American Falon’s College in Belmont.
0 CommentsThe pedagogy (paedagogium) of De Valk (The Falcon) was founded shortly after the University itself, by Jan Stockelpot ((† 1465), professor of arts, at House De Valk, located in the Penninkstraat (now called ‘Savoiestraat’, a street off the Tiensestraat). In the 15th century, the establishment expanded to the Hoelstraat (now Tiensestraat), where it included the ‘de Ketel’ (Kettle) house, a name that was also used to refer to this pedagogy.
The Falcon is actually an old pedagogy rather than a college. At the University of Leuven, colleges were initially buildings used for student housing, usually founded by a rich patron who invited less wealthy students from specific faculties or regions to live there. Even though debates about course topics sometimes took place in the colleges, their main function was to provide student accommodation.
The four pedagogies of the Arts Faculty (de Lelie, de Valk, de Burcht, het Varken; or, in English: the Lilly, the Falcon, the Fortress, and the Pig), however, functioned primarily as teaching institutions. They did not just provide food and living accommodation, but the young Arts students took most of their classes there. Due to this combination of housing and education, these colleges were more similar to the famous Oxford and Cambridge colleges than to the typical colleges of Leuven. This terminological issue becomes even more confusing considering that the present-day pedagogies now serve the same function as the former colleges, i.e. they provide housing facilities for students.
During the ancien régime, each of these pedagogies had its own coat of arms. The Falcon’s was made of gold and represented a falcon, probably depicted in its natural color, sitting on a branch. Its motto was: “volitat super omnia falcothe” (falcon soars over everything).
One of The Falcon’s most famous students was Pieter-Jan Minckelers († 1824), inventor of illuminating gas. Originally from Maastricht in the Netherlands, he came to The Falcon institute to obtain his doctorate in the arts in 1766. Later on, from 1771 till 1788, he was professor of philosophy here.
The Falcon College is Leuven’s only remaining pedagogy.The medieval house in the Savoiestraat, however, has entirely disappeared. The impressive, classical building that now graces the Tiensestraat is a 19th century reconstruction, built according to the 18th century design by Claudio Fisco (1736-1825). He was an architect from Leuven. In 1783, Fisco’s plans were used to build the left wing, the back and the gatehouse of The Falcon. Only the gatehouse remains intact. The other buildings went up in flames in 1866. In 1873, these building were reconstructed using Fisco’s original plans.
Unlike many other buildings, The Falcon was not sold after the University closed down in 1797. From 1801 onwards until the 1950s, the building functioned as a military hospital for the Leuven-based garrison. The University regained ownership of The Falcon around 1960. Today The Falcon houses the Faculty of Law.
Pedagogy De Valk
|Pedagogy De Valk|
|Latin name||Paedagogium Falconis|
|Motto||Volitat super omnia falco.|
Duchy of Brabant,
The pedagogy De Valk was one of the four pedagogies of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Leuven. The other three were the pedagogy Het Varken, the pedagogy De Lelie and the pedagogy De Burcht. It is the only pedagogy that has not been sold and demolished.
The motto of pedagogy has been, ever since the foundation of the University of Leuven in 1425, Volitat super omnia falco.
- 2Relocation to the Tiensestraat
- 4Military hospital
- 5Fire and reconstruction
- 6University of Leuven
Foundation[edit | edit source text]
The name comes from the first pedagogy housing in rue De savoy, where it was located opposite the College of Savoy. More is not known about the falcon name. The first director was Jean Stockelpot, licentiate in the Artes.
Relocation to tiensestraat[edit | edit source text]
In 1543, the director of pedagogy, Guillaume Everaerts de Velpen, son of Mr. van Opvelp, bought a house in the Tiensestraat.  According to some, this house was called ‘The Cauldron’ or ‘Cacabus’. Everaerts was magister in the Artes and baccalaureus in law. He built classrooms, a refectory and, apparently, with his last money he paid for the move to the Tiensestraat. On 1546 he donated his private property in the Tiensestraat to the Pedagogie De Valk. Several directors bought land and expanded the pedagogy: Martinus Riethovius, bishop of Ypres; Nicolaas Zoes, bishop of ‘s Hertogenbosch and canon in Tournai; Charles van Zillebeke; Claude Losson, who also had a chapel built through his will (1634). The greatest master builder was Jean-Pierre-Gérard de Raymaecker, a native of Leuven, who built a monumental façade along the Tiensestraat; the policy of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II did block the construction of an even larger structure.
Alumni[edit | edit source text]
Some well-known alumni of the pedagogy De Valk are:
- Gerard Jacobs, pastor of Deurne during the Counter-Reformation;
- Gilles Van den Berghe or bishop Aegidius de Monte, bishop of Deventer, also a counter-reformer;
- Jacob Wellens, bishop of Antwerp in the 18th century; 
- Jan Pieter Minckeleers, the discoverer of light gas;
- Pierre Joseph Bille, musician (late 18th century).
Military hospital[edit | edit source text]
From 1801 to 1852, the ex-pedagogy De Valk functioned as a military hospital. Some wings of the building complex were rebuilt for this purpose.
Fire and reconstruction[edit | edit source text]
On June 12, 1866, the city of Leuven experienced a heavy fire in De Valk. Most of the buildings were destroyed; only the gatehouse and the right wing could be spared. From 1873 onwards, progressive reconstruction took place to the situation as we know it today.
KU Leuven[edit | edit source text]
Since the 60s of the 20th century, pedagogy came into the hands of the KU Leuven; she set up the Faculty of Law there. 
Pedagogy De Lelie
|Pedagogy De Lelie|
|Latin name||Paedagogium Lilii|
|Motto||Lilia sola vigent.|
Florescunt lilia primis.
Duchy of Brabant,
The Pedagogy De Lelie (Latin: Paedagogium Lilii) was a pedagogy of the University of Leuven from 1431 to 1797. The University of Leuven was as usual in the Middle Ages, and still today in Cambridge and Oxford, a grouping of many colleges, pedagogies and foundations, united as parts of the university but with its own autonomy. Students lived and studied in the same building. At a college it was mainly a residential function, at a pedagogy education prevailed.
De Lelie was one of the four Leuven pedagogies of the Artes faculty where students received their basic training. After this first education, a student could continue his studies at the higher faculties, such as canon law and theology.
The pedagogy had a coat of arms with heraldic azure background with a natural lily of silver. The motto of the pedagogy was Lilia sola vigent and also Florescunt lilia primis.
Creation[edit | edit source text]
The pedagogy was founded in 1431 by Jan Leyten van Hasselt, a lawyer. The pedagogy was installed in an existing clerical school located in the Dorpsstraat, the current Diestsestraat. This school for secondary education (in our current wording) for clergy is already mentioned in 1358 as the chapter school of St. Peter’s Church, with the appropriate name school “van de Dorpstrate”. As is well known, in the Middle Ages it was not customary for the clergy to have attended university, as far as university education existed, and secondary education was sufficient for most clerics. Jan Leyten van Hasselt opened, in other words, 6 years after the foundation of the University of Leuven, this pedagogy specifically for university students. It is not clear whether the Faculty of Arts provided further secondary education here.
Extension[edit | edit source text]
Leyten was succeeded in 1437 by Carolus Viruli (1413-1493) who systematically and thoroughly expanded pedagogy. The Dutch name of Carolus Viruli was ‘Karel Mannekens’. Viruli came from Kassel and was a baccalaureus in canon law and in medicine. Viruli led pedagogy for more than 50 years, unique in Leuven, which led some to write that Viruli was the real founder of the pedagogy De Lelie. There is something of truth in this, because viruli’s house, located next to the pedagogy “van de Dorpstrate”, was called Leliënhof. After his death, the Leliënhof was incorporated into pedagogy, including the name ‘pedagogy De Lelie’. During his lifetime, Viruli also contributed financially to the construction of the church of the priory of Sint-Maartensdal in Leuven. Viruli was buried in this church of Sint-Maartensdal. The pedagogy De Lelie was certainly extensive. De Lelie occupied a space from the current Diestsestraat to the Nieuwstraat (the current Leopold Vanderkelenstraat) and the Penninckstraat (the current Savoyestraat), over the surface of the current Rector De Somerplein.  It contained a large vegetable garden, workshops and of course many sleeping places and classrooms for the students. In 1660 the pedagogy was thoroughly renovated, as is remembered on a chronogram above the entrance gate paeDagogIVM fLorentIs LILII on the Dorpsstraat.
Alumni[edit | edit source text]
Pedagogy had a good reputation, especially in the 16th century. In pedagogy, humanism in the Netherlands was helped to shape. From 1517 to 1521, the Desiderius Erasmus was among its guests, who also co-founded the Collegium Trilingue from here. Well-known alumni of the pedagogy De Lelie were Marcus Laurinus, Pieter Laurijn, Pieter de Corte, Jacobus Curtius, Johannes Despauterius, Arnold Geulincx, Jan Antoon Locquet, Jean-Lambert Obin, Joachim Sterck van Ringelbergh and Johannes Bertelius.
Sales[edit | edit source text]
By law of 15 September 1793 it was decided to abolish all colleges and universities of the French Republic, although the universities in France remained active until the new law of 7 ventôse year III (25 February 1795) which founded the “Écoles Centrales” in their place. After the Campo Formio Tract of 1797, the Austrian Netherlands had been ceded to France by the Emperor and the University of Leuven, like the other French Universities, was closed by law in 1797.
On 27 January 1808, the Pedagogie De Lelie was sold for 20,100 francs to Jacques-Guillaume Cordemans. The space was reused for several separate homes on diestsestraat, Vanderkelenstraat and Savoyestraat.  In the 19th century, a large part of the former pedagogy was expropriated for the construction of the Stationsstraat, the current Bondgenotenlaan with the Rector De Somerplein.