There is a series on TV called Yellowstone. My threat to turn Rena and my story into a Western, is being done.
In 1971 I met two sisters whose father owned the largest cattle ranch in Wyoming. We went to Cape Cod and walked nude on the beach. We then went to visit their good friend who was an opaire’ for the owner of the Swift-Armor meat packing company. They had a thirteen bedroom mansion on the water.
My kin, Jessie Fremont, helped make Yellowstone a National Park.
Jessie Benton Fremont, lived 1824–1902.
Did you know that the first effort to protect Yosemite from logging, overgrazing, development, and commercial wildlife trapping—even preceding the impassioned work of John Muir—was led in part by a woman by the name of Jessie Fremont?
Jessie, the daughter of a powerful US senator, eloped with the lieutenant and explorer John C. Fremont, who was at the time charged with exploring the west. Jessie eloquently ghost-wrote many of her husband’s findings for publication, and after moving out west in 1849, helped run his (unsuccessful) presidential campaign. After visiting Yosemite once in the 1850s, Jessie was struck by its incomparable beauty, and was moved to action to protect it from mounting developmental pressures of the time. Jessie began to form discussion groups in both Mariposa and the Bay Area, bringing together some of the greatest minds of the day. She hosted these writers, influencers, and photographers, and encouraged them to pressure Congress and take action in their personal lives to protect Yosemite, and eventually to support her, Galen Clark, and Sen. John Conness in setting aside Yosemite to be protected forever. It is said that Jessie’s revolutionary will to speak out on injustices, in a time when women were not expected to be vocal on contentious issues, was instrumental in the eventual signing of the Yosemite Grant Act as well as in the formation of the women’s suffrage movement.
Yellowstone (American TV series)
|Written by||Taylor Sheridan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||25 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42–92 minutes|
|Distributor||ViacomCBS Domestic Media Networks|
|Original network||Paramount Network|
|Original release||June 20, 2018 –
Yellowstone is an American drama television series created by Taylor Sheridan and John Linson that premiered on June 20, 2018 on the Paramount Network. It stars Kevin Costner, Wes Bentley, Kelly Reilly, Luke Grimes, Cole Hauser, and Gil Birmingham. The series follows the conflicts along the shared borders of a large cattle ranch, an Indian reservation, and land developers. In June 2019, Paramount Network renewed the series for a third season, which premiered on June 21, 2020. In February 2020, Paramount Network renewed the series for a fourth season, ahead of the premiere of its third season.
Yellowstone follows “the Dutton family, led by John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. The ranch is under constant attack by those it borders—land developers, an Indian reservation, and United States of America’s first national park. It is an intense study of a violent world far from media scrutiny, where land grabs earn developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world’s largest oil, natural gas, and lumber corporations. Where unsolved murders are not news, they are a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of the United States as seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.”
Cast and characters
- Kevin Costner as John Dutton, is a sixth-generation patriarch of the Dutton family, who controls the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch, the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. He is confronted with the challenge of defending his land from those who would seek to take it from him. Josh Lucas portrays a young John Dutton in a recurring role.
- Luke Grimes as Kayce Dutton, a former US Navy SEAL and youngest son to John and Evelyn. In the first season, he lived on the local Native American reservation with his native American wife and son. In the second season, he and his family are living at the Dutton Ranch. Rhys Alterman portrays a young Kayce in a recurring role.
- Kelly Reilly as Beth Dutton, a financier and the daughter of John and Evelyn. Although well educated, highly intelligent, and a master manipulator, Beth is also emotionally unstable and suffers from a substance abuse problem. She is loyal to her father and in love with Rip Wheeler. Kylie Rogers portrays a young Beth in a recurring role.
- Wes Bentley as Jamie Dutton, an attorney, aspiring politician, and one of John and Evelyn’s sons. Although completely loyal to his father and family, he is constantly frustrated at the current state of his family. He also has an intense love/hate relationship with his sister Beth. Dalton Baker portrays a young Jamie in a recurring role.
- Cole Hauser as Rip Wheeler, the ranch foreman at the Yellowstone / Dutton Ranch, and John’s right-hand man and enforcer. Rip has worked on the ranch for many years since being taken in by a young John Dutton and is therefore fiercely loyal to John. Dutton considers Rip to be one of his sons. He has an on-again, off-again relationship with Beth, whom he loves. Kyle Red Silverstein portrays a young Rip Wheeler in guest appearances in the episodes “The Unraveling: Pt. 1” and “Touching Your Enemy”.
- Kelsey Asbille as Monica Long Dutton, Kayce’s Native American wife with whom he lives on the local reservation, where in the first season, she is a teacher at the reservation school. In the second season, she has become a professor at the University of Montana.
- Brecken Merrill as Tate Dutton, the son of Kayce and Monica, and John’s only grandchild.
- Jefferson White as Jimmy Hurdstrom, a ranch hand at Yellowstone.
- Danny Huston as Dan Jenkins, a billionaire land developer from California with aspirations of taking the Yellowstone ranch from John Dutton.
- Gil Birmingham as Chief Thomas Rainwater, the chief of the nearby Native American reservation. He seeks to take the land from the Dutton family – land that he considers to have been stolen from the Native Americans who originally inhabited it – in order to expand the reservation.
- Ian Bohen as Ryan, a ranch hand at Yellowstone.
- Denim Richards as Colby, a ranch hand at Yellowstone.
- Forrie J. Smith as Lloyd Pierce, a senior ranch hand at Yellowstone. He has worked with John and the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch for many years. Smith’s son, Forrest Smith, portrays a young Lloyd in a guest appearance in the episode “Touching Your Enemy”.