Going Home – Again!

Frank H. Buck’s Big Oil Spill

Posted on August 1, 2017 by Royal Rosamond Press

Who paid for the clean-up? Did Robert Buck hide the history of his ancestor? How many seabirds were shot dead in Marin County? Who paid for the shotgun shells?

The City of Oakland passed the new Ballpark measure, but without controversy. For awhile I was the only RESIDENT in this large area the new stadium is going to be built – ALONG WITH LOW COST HOUSING! Will the poor, and Blacks, be handed the shitty end of the stick. Longshoreman workers are not happy. I was a child laborer. I worked as a Lumper at Acme Produce, located on Webster and 4th. in a old Victorian warehouse next to the railroad tracks. I did a watercolor of this place that toured the world in a Red Cross show.

If I am elected Governor of Oregon, I will launch an investigation into Frank Buck who raped the forests around Eugene. His oil tanker was involved in a massive oil spill at the Golden Gate. His father lived on Adeline Street, the only major street that goes into the proposed site. Leonard Buck was involved in a UNSOLVED MURDER. Did Frank want this hushed up?

I have to disclose I have have a grievance with attorney Robert Brevoort Buck due to the egregious mishandling of the estate of my later sister, the world famous artist, Christine Rosamond Benton, who married into the famous Benton family. Jessie Benton married John Fremont. Robert Buck put together the Buck Institute that lies across the bay in the wealthy community of Marin. The Buck family is an example of – THINGS TO COME! They need to be studied! Twelve billion dollars is being invested.

John Presco ‘Candidate for Governor’

The ballpark’s construction is part of a broader-reaching, $12 billion mixed-use development plan that also includes the construction of ample housing, office space, retail space and hotels in the surrounding area. If eventually approved, the new stadium would give the A’s a waterfront home with a capacity to host roughly 35,000 fans on a nightly basis. It would also finally move the team from the Oakland Coliseum — the last vestige of the once-popular multi-sport facilities that have been phased out across not only Major League Baseball but the majority of North American professional sports.

The city council’s certification of the Howard Terminal EIR was not without its detractors. Ravani writes that concerned citizens and the two councilmembers who voted against certification raised questions about the extent to which the review investigated affordable housing, the impact on port functions, traffic ramifications in the surrounding neighborhoods, the removal of toxic waste, and railroad safety regarding the nearby tracks.

It’s worth emphasizing that the EIR’s certification is just one step toward the project’s ultimate approval. The city will still need to approve the final terms of the project, and an exact timeline toward any such vote remains unclear. Annie Sciacca of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the City of Oakland and the Athletics still need to complete negotiations on key economic principals of the plan, including — among other critical elements — who will fund the infrastructure and how substantial a portion of the proposed housing units will be designated affordable housing. Those negotiations could take months, as could subsequent studies (e.g. a deeper dive into traffic management) that are now slated to follow the EIR. Nevertheless, the A’s and Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf — a proponent of the deal — have touted the EIR certification as a notable victory.

Murder and Death of Leonard Buck

Posted on November 28, 2020 by Royal Rosamond Press

Here is a mystery. I was researching the home of Leonard Buck in Oakland in order to include it in my proposal to Alcohol Justice funded by the Buck Foundation, when I am reading about a murder investigation that suggests Leonard got into a fight with Ellen Hunnington – and they both died due to blows they gave one another? They were very close friends, and possible lovers involved in business together. Buck said he moved to Oakland to get her daughter educated, but, why not move to Sacramento? Buck was elected Senator. He is a Knight Templar Freemason. He appears to be commuting to Vacaville where his fruit ranch is. Did he move to Oakland to be closer Ellen?

Buck dies at home at 5:15 A.M. in the morning. Why is he not in a hospital? Were their defensive wounds and bruises that would rule out landing on his head after thrown from a cart due to children darting in front of his buggy? Children play during the day. What do his hands look like? Was an autopsy done?

John Presco



Why may this text contain mistakes?Correct this text

Contributors: WWulz


The Ex-State Senator Passes Away Without Regaining Conciousness.

The death of L. W. Back, which occurred at dawn yesterday morning, in Oakland, was made especially sad to his family and his hosts of friends by the unfortunate connection of his name with the Harrington tragedy. Almost as for his life his family prayed for at least a brief spell of consciousness and ease that would enable him to tell the story that they wanted him to tell more strong! y than did the San Francisco police. But the end came at 5:15 a. m., without the unfortunate victim of Saturday’s accident having spoken a word or having given a faint sign of recognition to his heartbroken family. The Coroner held a brief inquest and the jury gave the following verdict: “The de-ceased. Leonard William Buck, a native of New York, aged till years, came to his death by cerebral hemorrhage, resulting from a fall from a cart at the corner of Twelfth and Castro streets, and we find that the fall was accidental. He died at 929 Adeline street.” The funeral will be held to-morrow at 1 o’clock p. m., from his late residence, at 929 Adeline street, Rev. Dr. Akerly officiating. The burial will take place under the auspices of Naval Commandery No. 19, Knights Templar of Valleio, of which the deceased was a member. Interment will be at Mountain View Cemetery. Senator L. W. Buck was born in Truxton, Courtland county, N. V., on July 8, 1834, and was educated at Honer, N. V., at the Courtland Academy. He was married September 10, 1856, to Miss Anna M., daughter of Dr. and Mrs. M. B. Bellows of Seneca Falls, N. Y. He was commissioned lieutenant in Company H., 175 th New York Volunteer Infantry, in August, 1862, but resigned in February, 1863, owing to ill health. He came West to Clinton, lowa, in 18(>n, where he went into the hardware business. The crisis of 1873 caught him and he lost all he had of this world’s goods. He came to California in 1874, settling at Vacaville in March of that year. On the first of October ne moved to what has ever since been known as the Buck ranch.

He leaves a widow and live children to mourn his loss. Frank H. is married and lives on a fruit ranch near the old homestead at Vacaville. He has two young sons. Fred married Dr. Akerly’s daughter and resides on the old homestead at Vacaville. He has one son. One daughter, Nellie, married John B. Cory of Lodi, the son of Dr. Cory of San Jose. They reside on a fruit ranch. The other* two daughters, Miss Emma and Miss Anna, reside at home with their parent*. When Mr. Buck came to California he went into ranching near Vacaville, and owing to his ability as a manager made his property pay. He secured from time to time other property, until at the time of his death ne owned a number of very valuable pieces of property. It is estimated he was worth $300,000. He came to Oakland eight years ago to educate his youngest daughter, and bought the home where he died, 929 Adeline street, and has since resided there. Captain Lees was asked yesterday if, in view of ex-Senator Buck’s death, he was prepared to make any statement as to what he wanted to see him about last Saturday, and he replied: ‘No, I have no statement to make. I will say that Mr. Buck’s death has greatly embarrassed me and will hamper me considerably in following out my investigations.” The captain, accompanied by Detectives Seymour and Handley, spent two or three hours yesterday morning in making a careful search of the small room used by Miss Harrington as a kitchen and her storeroom for any weapon that might have been used by the murderer. Every nook and corner was searched, but nothing was found with the exception of an old hammer in a drawer. There was nothing on the hammer to show that it had been used by the murderer. Besides the kitchen is in the hallway behind the door leading to the rear apartments occupied by Mrs. Kellqeg and which she found locked on the inside when she discovered the tire on Saturday afternoon. “If the hammer had been used,” said the captain, “there would have been stains of blood upon it, and other evidences of its use by the murderer. It is my opinion that the weapon used by the murderer was carried away with him.

 Detective Seymour visited Oakland yesterday and called upon C. S. Chamberlain, 472 Tenth street, the gentleman whom Mr. Buck’s son Frank said crossed over to San Francisco with his father on Saturday afternoon. Chamberlain could not definitely fix the time. He said he reached his store about 12 o’clock Saturday. He wrote two short letters and then went to a restaurant two or three doors from his store, where he had lunch. Then he went back to the store for a patent fruit box he was to take over with him to the Union Box Factory at North Beach. Then he caught the broad gauge train at Seventh and Broadway and joined Mr. Buck, who was on the train. He was with him till they reached the City. Mr. Bullock, Mr. Chamberlain’s partner, said he got to the store about five minutes to 1 o’clock, and Chamberlain did not return for the box while he was there. This made Chamberlain think that he might have taken the box to the restaurant with him. He might have crossed with the 1 o’clock boat or the one later. He was not sure which.

The statement of Moore, the hackman, to Detective Seymour on Monday was that he saw Mr. Buck waiting for the train at Seventh and Adeline streets at 1:45 p. m. The family state that he did not leave the house till 2:30 p. m., so that there are contradictions as to the time he crossed over to the City after reaching home from Sacramento.

The police are anxious to find out what Mr. Buck’s movements were on Saturday prior to his fatal accident, but for what purpose they decline to state. Raleigh Barcar, the proprietor of the Vacaville Reporter, who was the gentleman that accompanied Senator Buck to Oakland last Saturday morning, was interviewed at Vacaville yesterday. Mr. Barcar said that he came across Mr. Buck shortly after entering the train at Elmira and immediately commenced a conversation with him on the various topics of the day. Mr. Buck seemed in the best of spirits and apparently in good health, and at no time was anything said that led Mr. Barcar for a moment to think his mind was burdened with anything unusual. Mr. Buck left the tram at Sixteenth street, Oakland, and nothing further was thought of the matter by Mr. Barcar until after the news of the sad accident reached Vacaville.


Death Deepens Mystery – The Tragic Story is Untold – Miss Harrington’s Body Laid Away with No Clew to the Murderer or his Motive—There were two happenings yesterday which were related to the strange and awful Harrington tragedy, and they were the reverse of “developments.” Ex-Senator Leonard W. Buck, one of the highly respected, well-known and influential citizens of the state, whose indirect and mysterious connection with the remarkable story of crime has been told from hour to hour and from day to day in a manner that has enlarged the mystery, died at 5 o’clock yesterday morning in Oakland as unconscious as he had lain since Saturday evening. He spoke not a word before death. Four hours later, the mangled and burned remains of Miss Ellen Harrington were taken from the undertaking parlors where they rested and placed in the vault at Holy Cross Cemetery where they will await arrangements for the funeral. The circumstances of the case do not make it likely that the body will be disturbed in its casket until it is finally laid away in a Sacramento cemetery. The story of the crime, which must be a strange and thrilling one, is as deep a secret as ever. Nothing developed yesterday which gave a promise that it would ever be told. As far as is discovered, nothing was brought to light which gave a clew to the murderer or which even suggested a motive for the desperate butchery. As a mystery the case has few parallels. If which afforded a possible theory which suggested an adequate motive, they kept it closely to themselves. Nothing of the sort developed elsewhere. Two incidental facts were clearly established by investigation yesterday. Both made cruel and unjust suspicions relating to the dead woman’s character. It is plain that she died as she had lived—a woman with a clean heart and a clean life. Since the hour of discovery of the crime, it has been stated and believed, even by the police, that Miss Harrington was partially undressed when she was killed. It has been assumed that her assailant, whether he surprised her or not, was in her apartments while she was making her toilet. The fragments of burned clothing which were taken to the morgue with the body were examined yesterday for the first time and by a Call reporter. They gave positive proof that when Miss Harrington was killed and her clothing fired in an effort to destroy traces and evidence of the crime, she was fully dressed and as she had been during the entire forenoon. Mrs. Kellogg, who saw her one hour before her death, describes her as dressed in a light-blue sateen house wrapper. Nearly all her clothing that lay about the upper part of her body was burned in the flames, but the portions of all her garments upon which her body lay were naturally preserved from the fire. Of the sateen wrapper described before by Mrs. Kellogg, the back of the waist and a strip of the back part of the skirt for nearly its entire length is preserved, showing conclusively that she had it on when she fell where her burned body was found. Exactly similar evidence concerning all the rest of her clothing is preserved and it is conclusive. The testimony of Dr. Barrett, who performed a careful autopsy, also contradicts the theory of the police, which has been repeated a good deal, that the murderer used two weapons, one a heavy, blunt instrument with which the lacerated wounds and fractures were made, and another, a heavy, sharp cutting instrument. Dr. Barrett says that there were no wounds which were cuts at all. The murderer struck his victim eight powerful blows with some blunt and heavy weapon. Six of them reached her skull and two her lower jaw. Miss Harrington was not only a woman of exceptional size, vigor and health for one of her age, but Dr. Barrett testifies that her skull was abnormally thick. Blows with a heavy weapon would be needed to fracture and crush an ordinary skull in the manner shown by the autopsy, and the wounds give evidence that the murderous attack was desperate as well as deadly. It is not strange that there was no outcry heard for any one of the six flows dealt would have knocked any human being senseless. The hardest blow, whether the first or the second one, struck the victim on the side of the head about an inch and a half above the right ear, producing an irregular fracture of the skull bone three inches in diameter. This blow was delivered upward in relation to the head, as is shown by the particles of bone that were driven in that direction. Another blow landed a little behind the right ear and produced a fracture, and another one struck just in front of the right ear. On the left side of the head was a lacerated wound and a fracture that extended around the base of the skull and there met the fractures from the other side. There were two lacerated wounds over the right eye but no fractures. The lower jaw was fractured near its point. “The wounds were apparently all made with the same instrument,” said Dr. Barrett yesterday, “and were distinctively lacerated wounds. There was more or less contusion or bruising of the scalp about all the wounds. No knife could have produced a fracture. The weapon must have been a blunt and heavy one, and the blows delivered with great force. I have never seen such fractures of a skull except as the result of a streetcar accident.” Things are very quiet up in the two-story basement flat at 1018 Ellis Street now. No crowds gather outside, though people stop frequently to look with awe and wonder at the first-class but commonplace bunch of flats with distinguished stairs up to the two front doors. The upper flat, which was lately and for five years the dead woman’s, is in possession of the legatee, Mrs. Josephine Jackson, and her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Rae of Sacramento. They have many friends who call, and they are not especially thick with the other tenants. A statement yesterday by Mrs. Crouse, who saw the tramp, disposes of the tramp theory, if her confident fixing of the time when the nomad called at her basement door and then went up the front steps is correct. She says that the tramp called at fully 1 o’clock, and also that he did not look particularly vicious. She is the woman, too, who has seen the man and the buggy most, and she says that it is two or three weeks since she saw Mr. Buck drive up. The arrangements for taking Miss Harrington’s remains to the vault in Holy Cross Cemetery from Porter’s Undertaking establishment had been kept secret and no crowd was on hand. There was no ceremony. The casket was placed in a hearse, and eight friends followed in two carriages. Those who made the journey were: Mrs. Josephine Jackson and Mrs. D. W. Rae, sisters of the deceased; D. W. Rae; Mrs. Roberts, niece of L. W. Buck; Mr. and Mrs. Dwyer, old acquaintances in Chicago; Mrs. E. Shotwell and A. P. Knorp, Miss Harrington’s late landlord and his daughter. The funeral has not been arranged, but will take place in Sacramento at some future time. There is a brother of Miss Harrington abroad in the world somewhere, and he probably does not know of his sister’s death. He is Daniel Harrington, the oldest child of Timothy Harrington, who brought his family from Prince Edward Island so many years ago. He is a ship carpenter and two years ago came here from Chicago. He worked here five months and, not liking California, went east somewhere and has not been heard of by his family since. Captain Jack Harrington was another brother. He died some years ago. He was a drill master at Camp Douglas once and served his country elsewhere during the war. In Miss Harrington’s parlor there hung six large portraits. One was of Captain Jack, another was of herself, and the remaining four were honored prelates of the Catholic church, among whom was Archbishop Riordan. [San Francisco Call, 6-5-1895. Submitted by K. Marynik]



Why may this text contain mistakes?Correct this text


The Police Looking for I a Well-Known Racing Man. ROBBERY NOT A MOTIVE. Was There a Buggy in Front of the House During the Murder? SENATOR L. W. BUCK DYING Conflicting Statements of the Neighbors Who Wish to Avoid Publicity.

The heads of the Police Department worked assiduously yesterday in trying to unravel the mystery that surrounds the butchery of Miss Ellen Harrington, whose half-burned body was found in her apartruents at 1017 Ellis street Saturday afterternoon. Captain Lees spent most of the day in going through the mass of correspondence found in Miss Harrington’s room, and in examining the 300 or more photographs that belonged to her. In the morning the two sisters and brother-in-law of the murdered woman came down from Sacramento. These are Mrs. Josephine Jackson, the widowed sister and heir under the will of deceased, and Mr. and Mrs. Daniel W. Rae. They spent several hours in consultation with Chief Crowley and Captain Lees, but they could tell the policemen but little that was of value in determining the authorship of the crime. After that consultation Chief Crowley went to Oakland, where he spent the afternoon. Two theories were abandoned yesterday and a fourth came to the surface.

The last connects a well-known racing man of this City with the crime, but his name is known only to the police and they will not divulge it. They do not build upon it very strongly— from their own tell— yet it was deemed important enough to have a couple of detectives at the racetrack Saturday afternoon and have the same men follow up the clew till late last evening. It is believed the name of this man was found on the stub-book that Miss Harrington kept of money received from all her lodgers. Captain Lees has the stub-book and will permit no one to examine it. The abandoned clews are those that connected the Japanese, F. Kano, and the unknown tramp with the murder. Kano’s alibi seems to be correct, and besides, he could have had no motive for the deed, The tramp also has an alibi and likewise could have had no motive for such a crime. Mrs. Crouse’s nephew saw the tramp walk up the steps to the front door, remain there for a moment or so, and then retrace his steps and go up the street. And then, too, it was nearly 1 o’clock when the tramp made his appearance, and he could hardly have secured an entrance to Miss Harrington’s flat unless she had opened the door for him and invited him to come upstairs. But the strongest argument for believing that neither the Jap nor the tramp could have been the murderer is that reitner can be imagined to have had a motive for the deed. And it was evidently a crime with a >trong and hidden motive behind it. Robbery could not have been that motive, for aside from the woman’s missing watch she was not robbed. Even the gold chain attached to the watch at the time it was snatched from the victim was not stolen, and there were several valuable pieces of jewelry within easy sight and reach that were not taken, besides some gold coins hidden in a not very secure or obscure place — in the bottom of the hair-receiver beside the bureau. And yet the murderer had ample time to have secured all the valuables in the room, for he took time to ransack the bureau drawers and go through his victim’s private correspondence. He might have Had three-quarters of an hour to spend in the room. It was a few minutes before 12 o’clock when Mrs. Kellog, who lives in the rear flat on the same floor, last saw Miss Harrington, and it was about 15 minutes of 1 o’clock when the first alarm was given. Fifteen minutes would have been long enough for him to have finished his work and secured much more booty than was taken had his motive been robbery. But why was the watch stolen? The police have their own idea about that. It is that the watch was a gift from some one whose initials or monogram might have been engraven on it. and that tne murderer took the watch to destroy the clew that might have been deducted from its markings. And what was the motive?

There even the police admit their inability to make a reasonable guess that would fit in with any of the known facts. She is not known to have had any enemies nor any entanglements that could reasonably be supposed to result in this way, unless it transpires that the racing-track man, whoever he may be, could have had seme interest in her death. And of this the police do not appear any too sanguine. Miss Harrington’s relations with L. W. Buck, the politician and fruitman, who lives in Oakland, are supposed to have been those of client and business adviser. He called to see her very frequently, and when Mrs. Crouse, the lady who lives downstairs in the same house, was shown a photograph of Mr. Buck she said at once : •’That is the man with whom Miss Harrington keeps company.” Mrs. Crouse’s identification is very positive. She says he came to the house frequently — more than once a week; that he usually came there in a buggy, sometimes drawn by a gray horse and sometimes by a sorrel horse. Mrs. Crouse does not mean to say that she knew of any tender attachment between the couple; but she saw them together very often and drew her own conclusions. Buck, it seems, is looked upon as an old friend of the family and is quite well known by both the other sisters. Mrs. Jackson said yesterday that Miss Harrington was the first one of the family

to become acquainted with him ; that she met him at Dubuque. lowa, before she came to California. “I think he did some business for my sister,” she said, but of the nature of the business she knew nothing. “Sister was always very reticent about her affairs,” said Mrs. Jackson. “I know that she was connected in some way with Mr. Buck’s son-in-law, a man named Cary, at Lodi, but I do not know in what way. She used to tell me not to worry about any of her affairs. We had not seen her since last Thanksgiving, when she came up to Sacramento to visit us.” Now, as to whether there was a buggy seen in front of the house between 12 and 1 o’clock Saturday afternoon, is a point i upon whict: no one seems to be absolutely | certain. Many neighbors have been found j who say they did not see the vehicle, but I none of them are willing to say that no vehicle was there. The immediate neighbors on that side of the street were nearly i all in the rear of their houses, because I there it is sunny, and could not have seen | the buggy had “it been there. On the op-

posite side of the street Lawrence Greenbaum sat at the front window reading, but his back was to the window and a dozen vehicles might have been there without his knowledge. On the other hand there is the servant girl of ex-Supervisor Knorp, at 1027, just a few doors above, who has said to other neighbors that she saw the vehicle in front of Miss Harrington’s door at the time the murder must have occurred. Some one told her not to talk so much, or she might be called as a witness. Then she said, “Oh, well, I didn’t say what day it was,” and yesterday she was off somewhere visiting and could not be seen. It is quite likely that not only she but all of the immediate neighbors will be summoned by the Coroner. And there is the bright little girl of Neighbor Lindo, who has told that sne saw the buggy there Saturday at noon, and that her mamma also saw it. But Mr. Lindo says this is not so, and that no one in his house knows anything at all about the case. Some of the neighbors seem to be afraid of becoming witnesses, and are therefore unwilling to say anything. Among Miss Harrington’3 effects Captain Lees found a second will yesterday, but it is of a previous date, and of about the same tenor, only that W. S. Ferguson, the uncle of her friend, Mrs. Ferguson, who lives on Jones street, is named as executor. This will re ads as follows :

San Francisco, Auf». 12, 1893. Be it Known to AU: If anything happens me. Nell Harrington — Ellen is my real baptismal name — on this trip to Chicago, if anything, accident or sick should take me away, I would like my sister, J. A. Jacksoa, to have all that is left after my bills •■ re paid. Also, I would like to have, or I want to appoint Mr. W. S. Ferguson to settle up my affairs for my sister. All my papers are in Mrs. W. S. Ferguson’s care, she will turn them over to her husband to settle for me, or rather for my sister. This is in my own handwriting but written in a hurry day before starting for the World’s Fair. Please attend to for me without any trouble. Nellie Harrington. I am known as Nell or Nellie, but EUen I was baptized. I hope this will answer as a will if anything happens me.

Miss Harrington had a brother, whose whereabouts are unknown at present. About a year ago he saw her and also her two sisters in Sacramento, and then went, supposedly, back to Missouri; but neither Airs. Jackson nor Mrs. Kae know where he is at present. Some have thought from the tenor of Miss Harrington’s wills that they are in a measure prophetic of the awful end that came so suddenly and terribly upon her. But this is more poetic thattruthful. Miss Harrington’s worst fear was of sudden death from heart disease. Both her sisters are afflicted with the same trouble, and Mr. Rae said yesterday that his wife made her will before preparing to go on a visit East, which visit, however, was prevented Dy the recurrence of heart troubles. Every one who knew the murdered woman speaks in the highest terms of her and cannot believe that she should have had an enemy. She had quite an engaging personality and made friends and kept them. No one so far has told of any quarrel she ever had. In going over the letters and papers yesterday several notes were found from Mr. Buck to Mis 3 Harrington. Captain Lees would not divulge the nature of their contents, but Mr. Rea says the captain spoke his mind quite freely on the subject and did not hesitate to use Mr. Buck’s name in a way that led Mr. Rea and his wife and sister to believe that the captain thought Mr. Buck could throw some light on the subject. Mr. Buck’s dealings with Miss Harrington are shown quite plainly in the letters and other papers. Also they show the dealings she had with Mr. Cory at Lodi. The bank-books show that sh* had $752 in the German Savings Bank, $5 65 in the Humboldt Bank and $234 in the California Loan and Savings Bank, making a total of nearly $1000. Who were Miss Harrington’s previous lodgers during the four years she occupied that flat? Only Captain Lees can answer the question accurately, for he has the stubbook, Mrs. Jackson says. One Hoyt, an actor, and Lillian Beddard, an actress, had the apartments for several months prior to Mr. and Mrs. Kellog’s advent there several months ago. They were very quiet people. Mot the least suspicion attaches

to them. Who their predecessors were is not remembered by the neighbors. What makes the question as to these previous lodgers pertinent is the theory that the murderer probably had a key to the premises. An ex-lodger who had not returned his key might possibly know something of the tragedy. There is but little tangible about this theory, but the known facts are so scarce that all theories are now carefully scanned before they are dismissed. The theory of the police that the fatal blows were made with a hatchet has been modified upon closer inspection of the wounds. A medium-sized monkeywrench could have inflicted them. Such a weapon is easily concealed.it is pointed out, and one very likely to be carried in a buggy — supposing there was a buggy in front of the door at that time. A number of friends of the murdered woman called at the house yesterday, which is now in possession of Mrs. E,ae and Mrs. Jackson. Among the callers was Mr. Dwyer of the Union Iron Works, who had known Miss Harrington for some time. He said that Mr. Morris, superintendent engineer at the Union Iron Works, and his sister, were old friends of Miss Harrington, having once been lodgers of hers. It seems important to know all the dead woman’s friends now, for some one of them may be able to give a clew that might lead to clearing up what seems now

a most impenetrable mystery, and to this end the police were active yesterday in questioning all relatives and friends. Chief Crowley’s visit to Oakland yesterday was to make a personal investigation of the circumstances surrounding the accident to Senator Buck. He took a carriage in San Francisco, and on arriving in Oakland was joined by Detective Denny Holland, the most competent of the Oakland force, who drove with him to the home of Special Poulson, who was with the unfortunate man at the time the accident occured. The party then went “to Twelfth and Castro streets, where Senator Buck was thrown out of the dogcart, and investigated the matter thoroughly. The Chief was seemingly fully satisfied that the fall of the Senator was purely accidental, and after questioning the special closely, came back to the city. Senator Buck’s movements from the time he reached Oakland from Marysville on Saturday morning, until he was thrown from the cart and fatally injured, seems to have been ascertained to a certainty. From Hackrnan William Moore, who met him at the Sixteenth-street station, it was learned

that the train which should have arrived at 11:15 was a few minutes late, and that he drove the Senator to his home at 929 Adeline street, arriving there at 11:35 o’clock. Members of the family state that Senator Buck did not leave the house from 11:35 until 2:15, when he went to San Francisco. He returned at about 4:30 and remained until 5:30, when he was called for Policeman Poulson.

The accident at Twelfth and Castro streets was caused by some children running across the road in front of the horse. The animal stopped suddenly and Mr. Back was thrown out, striking on his head. He was put on an Eighthstreet car and rode to Eisrhth and Adeline, where he alighted and walked to his home, a block distunt, assisted by a friend who met him at the car. At a late hour last night he was sinking rapidly and was not expected to live until morning. The rumor concerning John Woodlock, the Beale-street merchant, is without the slightest foundation. He did not call at Miss Harrington’s house in a buggy on Saturday. He did not call upon her at all that day, nor at any other time. Some years ago Mr. Woodlock lived in the same house on Eddy street where Miss Harrington roomed. Once or twice since then he has seen her on the street. He was very indignant yesterday that a morning contemporary should have coupled his name with the case. As soon as he read the paper he called upon the Chief of Police and explained fully his every movement on Saturday. Chief Crqwley assured him that tbere was no suspicion against him. From all that is known at the present moment, from all that came out of the work of the Police Department yesterday, there is as little known about the strange and most brutally perpetrated murder of Miss Ellen Harrington and the motives

that prompted it, as there is of its terrible twin mystery, the butchery of young Eugene Ware, the clerk in the St. Nicholas drug-store-There is every evidence that Miss Harrington’s murder was carefully planned — certainly it was most stealthily and skillfully executed, and had the flames done their work in time not a scrap of evidence to even suggest the murder would have been left behind.

Mrs. Mary C. Kant Rae, Sister of the Murdered Woman.

Booth-Kelly Lumber Company In Springfield

Posted on June 26, 2017 by Royal Rosamond Press

The Story of Rosamond


Jon Presco

Copyright 2017

“Hi Dan. Ten years ago we talked in your office about the white equestrian statue outside your office. According the ongoing Kesey Square Myth, this horseman may come alive in the night, and drag Kesey statue over to Springfield – with your assistance. Is this true?”

I have known Dan Egan since I moved to Springfield eleven years ago. Recently, we discussed his prophecy that Springfield would soon own the statue of Ken now located in Eugene. Or, did Neil Laudati tell me this? There is a Trojan Horse, here? I have found the hidden Mr. Burns. In theory, I own the history of Springfield. Helen is my friend. I have talked about running for Mayor. I will beautify this lumber town. I own the real story of a lone poor man taking on the powerful and rich man with a bevy of attorneys, who depicted my famous sister as a deranged and dangerous lunatic, thus her legacy had to taken over by sane outsiders!

“Mr. Buck is a prominent Mason, a Knight Templar and Odd Fellow, and a member of various clubs, including the Bohemian, of San Francisco; the Pacific-Union of the same city, the San Francisco Gold and Country Club, the Claremont Country Club, of Oakland, California, and the Sutter Club, of Sacramento, California.”

From Frank would come the largest family trust on earth that is worth a billion dollars. Because there was alcoholism in the family, it was founded to combat this disease, and help the poor people of Marin. Maybe we can get Springfield in on this action, because Buck bucks, built this town – and Beverly Hills!

After my friend, Mark Gall, paid for my membership in the Emerald Art Association, I talked with Dan in his office at the old Springfield train station. He gave me his last copy of the history of Springfield which I donated to a merchants organization on Main street, that is now defunct. Then, came the rejection of the history I was compiling on the Fremont-Benton family by the founders of Emerald Arts, who I was told by the director were the widows of the men who owned logging companies. Were any of them kin to Frank Buck, the President of the Booth-Kelly Lumber Company that built a huge lumber mill in Springfield, and, was based in Eugene. Frank was the major stock holder. Why haven’t we heard of him. Where is his monument and plaque. He is the real Mr. Burns!

“Mr. Buck is interested as a stockholder and Director in the Rodeo Land & Water Co., of Los Angeles, which owns 3100 acres of land near Los Angeles. The townsite of Beverly stands on part of this land. Mr. Buck is President of the Booth-Kelly Lumber Company, of Eugene, Oregon, and has heavy timber holdings in that section of the Northwest. He also is a Director of the Bakersfield Iron Works.”

Why did the artist who designed the Kesey mural put these Biblical words where the signature of the artist traditionally go? I and my niece have been fighting a conglomerate that made millions fro Oregon trees.

A month ago, my childhood friend, Nancy Hamren, saw the real me. I was having dinner at Far Manns in Springfield. My waitress was giving me the eye, again. She took over my station just to wait on me. I found out her middle name was Rose, which was her grandmother’s first name. I told her about my Rosy family. We made a date, and she tells me she lives in a recovery house. I tell her I just had my thirty year birthday. I offer to be her sponser until she get’s one. I turn to say something to Rose, and am staring at Nancy. She is with Jerry in a booth. I say hello!

Nancy tells me she did not hear our conversation, but, she is being polite, and shy. She asks me if I have talked with Bill’s sister, his lover, and his son. Bill was killed on railroad track on my eighteenth birthday. He was a beautiful artist and writer. He was the love of Nancy’s and Christine’s life, who did this painting in memory of my childhood friend. This painting is discussed in my sister’s biography. I am vilified in this book of lies. Garth Benton says Christine received a letter from me wherein Bill is mentioned.

I read words suggesting if I had passed a letter to Bill, that Christine wrote, she could have saved Bill, and, he would still be alive, today. This lie was conjured up by a member of the Buck family. It was meant to destroy me. People wanted me to take my life. People who surrounded Rosamond, thought she would take her life. I have shown a powerful lawfirm who handled Christine’s probated………….they own no death scene!

I was doing a painting at the time of Bill’s death. I set up my easle before the T.V. because my friend’s two favorite movies were on; ‘Of Mice and Men’ and ‘The Old Man and the Sea’. It was just after midnight. I was painting a railroad track at night. I put my friend standing by the tracks looking at me.

“Hello Bill!”

Nancy made references to the video I made at the dedication of the Kesey mural in Springfield. She appologised for the ending. She said she was shy. I told the first girl I ever kissed that she was one of the most honest and integral human beings I ever met. We hugged each other. We went to – that place! We were so beautiful – and perfect! We were perfect every day. When we awoke, and wondered again, if this perfection would ever end, we smiled, for to wonder such a thing is such a perfect thing to wonder about.

I have not read ‘Sometimes a Great Notion’. I could barely watch the movie, for, there is our Bill captured under the log, and we are so helpless. We tried. He was a suicide. He was nineteen. His play had just been rejected by an editor who made a point to come see him. Bill believed the worth of a man is judged by the worthiness of his enemy. ‘The Fountainhead’ was another favorite book. Bill became Howard Roarke. He saw himself as Lenny. I was George. Nancy gave George a hug at Far Manns. Nancy honored ‘The Survivor’ of one of the most beautiful and creative bond, the world has ever known – if only someone would tell the tale.

When I visited Nancy and the Springfield Creamery in 1986, she suggested I write the history of the Hippies because I could recall so much. I knew she wanted me to write Bill’s story. I had grown up in his shadow. But, this time, at Far Mann’s, she no longer wanted me to author Bill’s story – or mine! She told me she and Jerry had not come to this restaurant for twenty years. When they did, they got to see the real me, the hidden me. I can see that Ken admired John Steinbeck, and his mice who want to be men.

“What is a man?”

I am a Lamed vav Tzardikim. I am the ‘concealed one’. In this life I am ‘The Rose of the World’. I am the Beautiful Rose Artist. I have come to save………..Art! I have been elected. How I was elected is what Ken’s two novels are about! I even did a cote of arms – before I knew who I was – fore sure. I have suffered. No artist has suffered more. No artist has loved art – more! My betrayal is so complete, there is nowhere to go. There is not diversion. No one to blame. I have been elected by a process that does not understand itself. I am on the railroad tracks. There is a train coming. Last night………I found that train. It is…….on time! Of course you are going to title me ‘Mad’. That’s what you do! That’s your job! It’s all about making money, and having money – for you!

Nancy was at my graduation from Serenity Lane. She had me meet Ken several times. I heard he had a drinking problem. Here is the Buck Trust.


About Royal Rosamond Press

I am an artist, a writer, and a theologian.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Going Home – Again!

  1. Reblogged this on Rosamond Press and commented:

    Black residents are complaining about the changes in the Longfellow neighborhood. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Oakland-Longfellow-neighborhood-17453034.php

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.