The Royal Janitor
Victoria and Miriam lie in bed together with their tablets. Bond is furiously rifling through Starfish’s BAD resumé.
“Why doesn’t it say your are a Civil War buff in your file?”
“Because I concluded you would think I was mad – insane! What woman in her right mind would know all there is to know about Lee and John Fremont? Who cares? My parents concluded we were heading for another Civil War. This is why we moved into the desert near Rosamond California.”
“Did they think a war was coming, or, did they want a war?”
“What kind of fucking question is that? You can ask this of millions of people. half will point to scripture.”
Victoria watched Miriam put down her tablet and go into a trance as she recited Mark 24.
“At three my parents had me recite this sermon. Then they asked me if I had any visions.”
“Yes. How could you not?”
Victoria had resisted Miriam saying anything about her being a Christian. However, it began to surface there was a political force that was motivated by a end of days prophecy. It was now evident BAD had hooked her up with Starfish so she could be exposed to this – strangeness – this surreal cosmology that was a threat to the secularism as she saw it.
When Starfish was done, Victoria tried to ignore her unsettling gaze.
“What do you think? What do you see?”
“Give me five minutes!”
Starfish was putting Victoria’s analytical skill to the ultimate test.
“O.K. Here goes! Jesus did not speak all his words on the Mount of Olives, in secret, or what have you. He spoke them at the temple in front of a large audience. Many of those present were hostile to this prophet, and he is a prophet for he is saying there will be a doomsday and destruction of the temple. It is obvious none of these predictions came true. This is when the apologists went to work – at a later date! I did study comparative religion. Much responsibility is put upon the disciples who are handed a fraudulent proof via the warning about false prophets and Christs. Their faith is put on trial. The clever author is performing a gaslighting trick. If you are a doubter, you are a enemy of the Christ – after the fact! If he was the Son of God, then He would have bid his father to destroy the temple – for starters! Focus on this! Expose the Wizard behind the curtain.”
Victoria gave her lover a smug smile and was instantly reminded of the Siamese cat at the College of Arms – that loved to manipulate her over the food she gave him. He was never pleased, and at times looked mean. Once it bared his teeth at her – and hissed!
“Fuck!” Victoria muttered, she realizing she had done what she said she would never do – get in a religious argument!
“Don’t look at me that way. You’re scaring me! Stop it!”
Victoria jumped out of bed and put her pillow between her and her beloved Jesus Freak – who also jumped out of bed and came at her boss – naked! There was this strange gnashing of her teeth. And, here come the speaking in tongues – all in Russian! Images of Dali and his beloved muse looked down upon this very surreal – art scene. Starfish was determined to wrestle with the demon that had been lurking in her beloved. She would cast out the fallen angel.
34I tell you the truth, this generation  will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
- Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings.
- “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
- As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
- Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
- For many will come in my name, claiming, `I am the Christ,  ‘ and will deceive many.
- You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
- Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
- All these are the beginning of birth pains.
- “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
- At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,
- and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
- Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold,
- but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
- And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
- “So when you see standing in the holy place `the abomination that causes desolation,’  spoken of through the prophet Daniel–let the reader understand–
- then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
- Let no one on the roof of his house go down to take anything out of the house.
- Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak.
- How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
- Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.
- For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now–and never to be equaled again.
- If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.
- At that time if anyone says to you, `Look, here is the Christ!’ or, `There he is!’ do not believe it.
- For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect–if that were possible.
- See, I have told you ahead of time.
- “So if anyone tells you, `There he is, out in the desert,’ do not go out; or, `Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it.
- For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
- Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.
- “Immediately after the distress of those days “`the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’ 
- “At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.
- And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
- “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.
- Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it  is near, right at the door.
- I tell you the truth, this generation  will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
- Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
- “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,  but only the Father.
- As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
- For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark;
- and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
- Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left.
- Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
- “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
- But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.
- So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
- “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time?
- It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns.
- I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions.
- But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, `My master is staying away a long time,’
- and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards.
- The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of.
- He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.