Fermor Hesketh Lodge No 1350 hosted a lecture on “The building, King Solomon’s Temple”. The lecture was delivered by Jeffery Smith and Jimmy Rogers of Cleveleys Lodge of Mark Master Masons No 1176. The lecture was first devised and presented on 29 April, 1983 by S D Bates, assisted by W S Linkison as a “one off” presentation. To date it has been delivered 483 times and raised more than £100,000 for charities.
A one-thirtieth scale model of King Solomon’s Temple.
According to earliest records, forms of ritual have been practised by speculative Masons since the late 16th century using knowledge which was vastly inferior to that which was available today and in living conditions of which, we have really no comprehension.
What the early Masons had, was an unshakable belief in a divine being and a considerable familiarity with the contents of the Holy Bible. They took the most perfect object described in the Old Testament, King Solomon’s Temple, and used it as a basis for the projection of moral lessons by means of various ritualistic plays.
When in 1816, the Lodge of Reconciliation decided the form that Masonic Rituals should take it adopted what it considered to be the best parts of all these ritualistic plays and formulated what we know today as emulation ritual. Sadly, with the passage of time these moral lessons have become less obvious.
During the course of the lecture, a one-thirtieth scale model of the temple is constructed from details gathered from many sources. Its contents and their usage are described in both biblical and Masonic terms and inaccuracies in the Masonic version are highlighted.
A possible explanation of the message that these moral lessons were intended to convey was then given, prior to the lecture being drawn to its dramatic conclusion.
The Worshipful Master Michael Harvey described the lecture as “an informative and educational presentation very well delivered”. All members and guest agreed unanimously.
Fermor Hesketh Lodge 1350
Warrant: 9th February 1871
Meetings: Second Mon: Oct-Apr
1871 – 1996
The Petition for a charter to form the Fermor Hesketh Lodge was sponsored by Brethren
mainly from the Mersey Lodge No. 477 and was granted on the 9th February, 1871 to the following brethren.
John Higson Johnston William P. Colebom
James Ridley Samuel Jones
Joseph Dawson Crawford Robert Henry Harbord
Edward Harbord Peter Talbot Peterson
The Consecration Ceremony took place at the Masonic Hall, Hope Street. Liverpool on Tuesday 4th July. 1871 at 2p.m.. The Consecration Officer was W. Bro. Robert Wylie, Prov.G.D.C. who later became Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and he was accompanied by W.Bro. Thomas Wylie, Provincial Grand Registrar, W. Bro. James Higson Johnston was then duly Installed as the First Worshipful Master of the Lodge with the following brethren as Officers.
W. Bro. James Higson Johnston, W.M.
W. Bro. Dr. James Ridley, S.W.
W. Bro. Dr. Joseph D. Crawford, J.W.
W. Bro. William P. Coleborn, Treasurer
W. Bro. Edward Harbord, Secretary
Bro. R. Rochefort Rae, D.C.
Bro. Samuel Jones, S.D.
Bro. Dr. Arthur Samuels, J.D.
Bro. Martin Browne, I.G.
Bro. Peter T. Peterson , Steward
Bro. John Williams, Steward
Bro. W. H. Ball, Tyler
The name of the Lodge was taken from the name of the then Rt. Wor. Provincial Grand Master, Sir Thomas G. Fermor-Hesketh, Baronet.
The First Minute Book was lost and it was fortunate however that the Tylers Book remains as it provided the evidence which was necessary in claiming the Centenary Warrant. From the records many of the original members were from the Medical and Seafaring professions, and that the Lodge met in every month of the year, pius an average of five emergency meetings, and that at nearly every meeting in those days brethren from other Lodges were either Passed or Raised. It appears it was usual for brethren of other Lodges to visit and make a personal appeal to our members for assistance in cases of distress of members of their Lodges and it is recorded that amounts ranging from 2/6 to £2 were given.
The following is the Introduction which was printed in the First Bye-Laws in 1872, and as it was then, still applies today.
Order is Heaven’s first law, and no society can be conducted without order; but we must at all times remember that laws, without observance, are worse than useless.
We must endeavour to avoid, as much as possible introducing into our mysteries any person addicted to strife, or contaminated by profaneness or dishonesty; and thereby show to the world that our principles rest on the firm basis of virtue and honor, and not on mere forms and ceremonies.
Masonry comprehends within its circle every branch of useful learning, and stamps an indelible mark of pre-eminence on all its Genuine professors, which chance, power or fortune cannot bestow.
When its principles are strictly observed, it is a sure source of tranquility among the various disappointments of life; it cheers the mind in the hour of affliction, paves the way to peace, and promotes domestic happiness; it is company in solitude, and gives variety, vivacity, and energy to social conversation.
The universal principles of the art unite in one indissoluble bond of affection men of the most opposite tenets, of the most distant countries, of the most contradictory opinions, – so that a Mason, FINDS, IN EVERY NATION, A FRIEND, AND IN EVERY COUNTRY, A HOME.
Many of our Pastmasters have been honoured by appointment to Rank in Provincial Grand Lodge, and also Three Pastmasters have received Grand Lodge Honours.
Six sons of Pastmasters of the Lodge have also occupied the Master’s Chair of the Lodge.
The Centenary Meeting in November 1971 proved to be to a most happy one. The Lodge was honoured by the presence of many distinguished guests, who made it a really prestige occasion. These included The R.W. Prov. Grand Master, The P.D.G. Chap.,The Assist. Prov. Grand Master, also the complete Provincial G. Lodge Team. The Centenary Warrant was read by The Prov. Grand Secretary, and duly presented to the W.M.
Ever since its foundations, the Lodge funds and the purses of its members have also been open to any deserving object, and generous donations have been given to the five West Lancashire Charities, as well as to the Festivals of the R.M.I. for Boys, the R.M.I. for Girls, the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution, the Million Memorial Fund, Liverpool Cathedral, the Grand Charity, the Samaritans Fund and the Tithebarn.
We have now completed 125 years of endeavour and progress, and whilst feeling proud of those who have preceded them, the brethren of the Lodge must realise that they cannot bask in the reflected glory of the past, but we must also contribute to the foundations which have been well and truly laid, by seeing that our dear old Lodge continues to prosper, and that the members play their part in the maintenance of Masonry in general and Fermor Hesketh Lodge 1350 in particular.
committee had intended, this parade was the
largest and most beautiful of any ever seen upon
the Pacific Coast. It was a parade grand and in-
spiring, and in numbers, variety and beauty far
exceeded the Knights Templar parade of the pre-
vious week, although they had in line the Bostonian
Knights, each wearing a uniform representing
15,000 or more. To make this procession a grand
success, the committee offered cash prizes of |T5^
and more for the largest city lodge in line, the lodge
making the best display, the largest interior lodge,
the handsomest float, and the finest Rebekah lodge.
The Rebekahs made a beautiful appearance, they
having some ten or twelve of the fifteen magnificent
floats, one, the orphan children from their Home.
Many wondered at the grandeur and beauty of
the electrical display, and it was pronounced the
CAUFORNIA ODD FELLOWSHIP. 223
finest ever seen outside of New York. Each even-
ing, Market street, from the ferry up some two
miles distiint, was a ll(K>d of dazzling light. Many
of the prominent buildings were beautifully dec-
orated, and the overhanging bell, near the Ex-
aminer, Call and Chronicle buildings Avas a mag-
nificent, gorgeous display of electrical art
Odd Fellows in California
The history of California Odd Fellows started in Philadelphia, PA. The charter for California Odd Fellows Lodge #1 was issued on January 12, 1849 by Grand Sire Horn R. Knease bearing the names of 6 officers and one new member who, days later, embarked for the California territory in 3 separate ships. Of the seven men only three arrived in California on May 20, 1849. The discovery of gold had Port Yerba Buena in turmoil. Two of the three men left for the gold fields and left James L. Smiley alone with the charter. Smiley made several attempts to start the Lodge but there was little interest. When the two companions and others returned from the gold fields then the interest of the Lodge started to grow. On September 9, 1849, exactly one year to the day that California was a state, California Odd Fellows Lodge #1 held it’s first meeting with Brother Smiley instituting the Lodge. The first meeting had 25 members representing 25 different states.
On November 12, 1849 the Brothers moved to the building owned by Levi Stowell located on Montgomery Street. The Lodge hall in San Francisco at 7th and Market was built in 1884 and the first meeting held was on May 14th. The original hall was destroyed in the 1906 Earth Quake and fire. Thanks to the heroics of one member the charter was saved before the building collapsed. The current building was re-dedicated on June 27th, 1910.
Odd Fellows in Fremont
The Inception of Mission Peak Odd Fellows Lodge #114, as with many Lodges from California, grew from the quick expanse of the membership spreading out through the state. On July 5, 1851, James Smiley instituted San Francisco Odd Fellows Lodge #3. James Smiley transferred to that Lodge by card soon after. On October 22, 1853 Samuel Hale Parker instituted Templar Odd Fellows Lodge #17 in San Francisco. Brother Parker transferred to that Lodge by card soon after.
On November 26, 1859, Crusade Odd Fellows Lodge #93 in Alvarado (Now Union City) was instituted by John L. Van Bokkelen. One man that lived in the area at the time pushed the presence of this Lodge. Charles S. Elgenbrodt joined Charity Odd Fellows Lodge #6 in Stockton. He transferred by card to Templar Lodge. In 1858 he moved to Alvarado and worked months to organize a Lodge. Brother Elgenbrodt was an active member who moved quickly through the ranks but resigned his position as District Deputy Grand Master to recruit a company of volunteers for the California Battalian. He quickly received the rank of Captain and was killed on September 2, 1864 in Shenedoah Valley leading a charge for the Union. He is the only California Odd Fellow to be killed in the Civil War.
In the early 1860’s there were several members of the Crusade Lodge that were traveling to Alvarado from the area known as Washington Corners (Now known as the Irvington district of Fremont). These members felt they had enough support in the area to start a new Lodge and on June 27, 1863 Mission Peak Odd Fellows Lodge #114 held its first meeting with 9 charter members from Alvarado and 1 charter member from San Jose. The first meetings were held in the Union Hotel; soon a 20 x 40 room was rented for the purpose of meetings. Chester Harris, N.G.; Jacob Salz, V.G.; Benjamin Marsten, Rec. Sec.; Edward Niehowe, Treas.; and Orrin Wilson, Fin Sec, held the first offices. Other charter members were Herman C. Crowell, Otho Morgan, John M. Murphy, Robinson Ruckledge and Jared Walker.
History of Rebekahs
On September 20th, 1851 the Rebekah Degree was adopted to encourage women to join in Odd Fellowship. Odd Fellows are the first fraternal organization to incorporate women. The degree of the Rebekah is based on the women of the bible and the teachings of this degree are very beautiful. Schyuler Colfax, Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant 1868 – 1873, wrote the Rebekah Degree. In 1823 Mission Peak Lodge #114 decided that it should have a Rebekah Lodge and asked that all Wives, sisters & daughters attend a meeting. This meeting resulted in the inception of Aqua Pura Rebekah Lodge #193 Instituted on July 19, 1893, a gala ball in the area at that time with 150 present.